Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fashion police week


Hey beautiful people! It has been quite the 4 days back and those haven't even been consecutive...while it's not over yet, I'm feeling accomplished--celebratory even ;) Thurs. is my all-day Ga, but I get a real lunch break which I plan to spend people watching somewhere. Get crazy y'all :) Okay so enough about me, let's talk about what I thought of the Golden Globes! 

Let me preface by saying how much I love the GGs and legit look forward to them bc they're not the snob fest that the oscars are and I'm more of a movies/ arts than mainstream music person (lookin at you Grammys). That being said, a highpoint is always the fashion bc people can do chic, trendy and everywhere in between. So who looked the part and who didn't even come close?

                                                                                The WORST:
                                                              (in no particular order of heinous-ness...)

                                                              Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace:

While she made many a best-dressed list with this look, I think it is hideous.  The colors, the cut, the fabric and that stupid afterthought of a construction paper isosceles triangle on top...awful!  If this dress was on Project Runway (or almost any other celebrity), it would've gotten what it deserves: an incinerator.  And enough with the bun, Angie. Yawn.

Mila Kunis in Dior:

   
I don't think I've ever seen such horrible tailoring and fit on a professionally-dressed person.  She looks frumpy, and I hardly think that is a word most people would use to describe Mila Kunis.  The sheer portions are unflattering and far from sexy or chic--as was I'm guessing the intention?  The hemline is non-existent and looks like it belongs on a witch.  Then there's the one awkward-looking 'strap'.  There are no excuses for how bad this is.

And from the peanut gallery:

Alba claims her daughter helped her pick out this mess of a dress.  Don't blame this on a 4-year-old.  Did she also tell you it's cool to be up to your elbows in cleavage?  You managed to make grandma's old pillow shams R-rated.

This reminds me of one of those paper snowflakes, how they would look in hell that is.  Take it off, Dianna, before the flames reach your face!

Xena called and she wants her outfit back.

But I've saved the mother of all poor choices for last...

WHY?!?!

But that doily will not damper my awards season, because now it's time for 
The BEST:

Lea Michele in Marchesa:

So elegant, so classy...this is how winter awards shows should be styled.  As a woman in her 20s, Lea Michele shows that it is possible to be sexy and young but still very haute couture-worthy at the same time.  Taking a cue from various current trends--metallics, trains, silhouettes and cutouts, BUT she puts her own spin on these looks in order to best flatter her figure and the event.  Bravo.

Kristin Wiig in Bill Blass

Proof that neutrals and earth tones CAN work on the red carpet.  Wiig looks straight out of a Ralph Lauren ad and with the hair, jewelry and unique accents of the dress itself, no one should judge the simplicity level.  While the look might have been better suited for spring or summer (read: with a tan), these 'rules' apply less in Hollywood and it's still working for her.

Agreeing with the masses on:

It's a tad Jessica Rabbit, but Reese 'made it work' as my Timmy Gun would say ;)

Charlize can do no wrong...classic ballerina meets 1950s cocktail dress, and the diamond headband is the icing on the cake. 

So who do I think did best?

Love. Love the color. Love the cut. Love the vintage-feel. Loved her acceptance speech.  The End.

See you soon dedicated readers! Happy early weekend--let's make it one to remember :D

2 comments:

  1. Almost agree with you across the board, but I like J Biel's dress! I mean it would be better at a country wedding, but I still LIKE it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. key word: wedding...it does resemble a little house on the prairie wedding dress ;) haha but I do see where you're coming from. maybe even a cK fragrance ad, just not the GGs. Love your input, and you!

      Delete